Monday, March 21, 2016


I feel the final words of my poster in the corner really show my stance on media posts. However, I still believe it is not clear enough about what issue I am arguing for. I chose to use black and white colors because I think black represents the dark and bad sides of media, while white represents the light and truthful side of media. I tried to make the font like a newspaper font to represent news titles and other subtitles.

My thumbnail sketches really gave me many ideas but apparently they did not show my stance well. The sketches gave me ideas and really helped me think of headlines and how to get the viewer's attention. My final poster turned out to be really different from my thumbnail sketches because I had a hard time remaking my thumbnail sketches on Illustrator. But, I am still happy with my final poster.

In the first version, I had two floating heads and Ms. Lee gave me advice to put them into a shape like some kind of profile picture type of thing. After making that change, the two heads did not look too out of place and random. Also in my first version, I could not decide on a background and split the page into two random colors. After going with the classic black and white backgrounds, I felt my poster looked neater.

If I had to choose one, I would choose the Skill and Techniques column on the rubric as my strongest. I used a variety of techniques like Envelope Distort, Pen Tool, Gradient, etc. But I still think I could have added more techniques to make my poster look more interesting and eye-catching. I would say both my Concept and Design are on the weaker side but I would choose Concept as my weakest because my stance may not be too clear to others and the whole poster may seem confusing.

Thinking of a way to appeal to viewers really made the poster project challenging. The poster had to express a message quickly and concisely. If the poster was too boring, then no one would look at the poster and notice the issue. Also if the stance was not expressed clearly, then viewers would have a hard time understanding the poster.

The techniques were not too difficult but I think finding the right tool to use took more time. My poster was simple and did not require too many techniques and so I used a few of the same tools a few times.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Vivian, even though you don't want me to comment on this, I'm going to do it anyways :))

    1) From your poster design, I can definitely tell that you are against media posts (not just because I read your answer to the question); especially online rumors and things that are posted online through social media.
    2) I think the poster was quite clear. In my opinion, I felt that the text helped convey your stance the most. Although the pictures were able to somewhat convey your argument, I think without the text people like myself wouldn't have been able to tell what your stance was. In the end, I understood your stance and was moved by the poster's message because I totally agree with you and is against social media spreading rumors as well.
    3) Your text was definitely the most significant design to enhance the poster's message. In terms of the image, the picture of Selena crying also further helped enhance your stance. Additionally, I like the way you organized the two separate texts because it seems as if your intention was to portray it like Selena and Taylor were speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I interpreted a slightly different idea from your original stance: there is no privacy within media. The font and the computer screen definitely reach out to the audience of the flaws in media, and I liked the use of color to bring attention to the celebrities--makes it clear that the media is an issue in society today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vivian I really like your poster because of how clear it is. Also, your posters concept is very clear and is controversial, especially with teenage audiences. In addition, I think that the floating text you used highly emphasizes the conversational tone of teen magazines. Also, by including, "All good news is good news" on a tv shows that media can falsely portray and create drama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your stance was clear that social media is not always credible and can be easily manipulated. Your message of "not all news is good news, not all news is credible news" really reinforced your message. I also like the celebrities you put in the poster to express the influence social media has on people

    ReplyDelete